We are currently being led by Joan Morris our new
incumbent as of June 1, 2018
Mission Statement for the Trilliium Anglican
"To help people be
disciples of Jesus and to make more disciples."
This parish consists of three distinct churches in
three distinct communities plus one church which is
attached to the parish by tradition. St. Albanís is
located in the retirement and vacation village of
Restoule about 36 km west of Powassan. Powassan
itself is a farming and light manufacturing town
located on Highway 11, 30 km south of North Bay and
is home to St. Maryís. St. Peterís is located in the
growing town of Callander, a bedroom community just
south of North Bay. St. Peterís, St. Mary's and St.
Alban's became affiliated in the mid 1950ís when the
three point Parish of Powassan was established. St.
Johnís is actually a church formally attached to the
Diocese of Ottawa, but as it is only about 10 km
East of Powassan in the farming community of
Chisholm, it has become, by tradition, an unofficial
point in the parish.
The Incumbent - The Venerable Joan Locke
St. Peter's Anglican Church
Established in 1890, St. Peterís is located in the
vibrant, welcoming and growing community of
Callander. It has a year-round tourist industry.
Callander is located immediately south of the city
of North Bay and it encompasses approximately 26 km
of the south and east shore of Lake Nipissing. They
have a Sunday morning worship service After morning
worship, the congregation enjoys a time of
fellowship and refreshment in Woodward Hall. They
have a small choir who occasionally sing during
Sunday service. Music is both traditional and
contemporary. St. Peterís is blessed to have a core
group of committed volunteers who have served in a
variety of ministries for many years, including lay
readers, ACW, choir, altar guild, organists,
wardens, Advisory Board, treasurer, etc. St. Peterís
holds a number of annual fundraising events
including the Fall Campaign, a Bean Supper, and a
monthly Soup and Sandwich Luncheon from September
St. Mary's Anglican
St. Maryís is situated one block west of Main Street
in Powassan. The Rectory is located about 200 metres
to the south. The surrounding area is farmland and
sugar bushes. Powassanís big yearly event is the
Maple Syrup Festival in late April when St. Maryís
hosts a very well attended pancake breakfast.
Powassan is a very ecumenical community. and has
monthly Mensí Breakfasts hosted by each church on a
rotating basis During the Lenten season these
churches conduct a Wednesday noon hour ecumenical
service on a rotating basis. The ACW is very active
and the altar guild is strong. There are both menís
and womenís bible study groups meeting on a weekly
basis. There are three nursing homes within our
parish boundaries and trained, dedicated
parishioners regularly visit during these services.
Beginning in 2008, St. Maryís and St. Albans have
been developing closer ties, and in the winter
months share some of their services at St. Maryís.
St. John's Chisholm closed in
The site of the church was donated to the Diocese of
Ottawa in 1909, and St. Johnís Church was built by
local pioneer farming families, and dedicated in
1911. In addition to regular services, many
marriages, baptisms, and funerals were performed
over the years, but with an aging population and the
migration of the younger generation, the church sat
empty for a period of time.
not have a recognized congregation,
but a loyal group known as ďThe Friends of St.
Johnís". This group
made up of several local
residents and descendants of former members who live
in diverse parts of the country. In 1996, interest
was once again expressed for monthly services on
Saturday/Sunday evenings during the summer months,
with visiting clergy and lay readers as necessary in
addition to the incumbent.
Finally the decision was reached by the
remaining supporters to say farewell to St. John's
as an Anglican Church in this area and a service of
deconsecration was held to honor those who had given
and received so much over the years to St.
Johns, the community and beyond.
St. Peter's Interior
St. Mary's Interior
St. Alban's Interior